Inspiring as ever, Felicia Day put me up to this (I make it sound like we're best buddies, but all I did was read her blog; I guess I've started going ever so slightly crazy after the best part of 3 weeks in cabin-feverish swine-flu-induced exile.)
- Routine is the path to a calm mindLast year I was at my happiest and most 'together' during the times I maintained an 'autopilot' routine for housework and activities. To some people this might seem like common sense, but I'm not a born organised person. I'm scatty, distractable and selfish with my precious time (which is invariably eaten up by laptop-usage and staring at terrible t.v.) But routine gave me more time, and I managed to prioritise my internet time for really important things, which led to a huge backlog of blog posts in my Reader; subsequently, I realised that the ones I kept putting off were a complete waste of my time!
- I would rather work to my own schedule for less money than forfeit my sanity for wagesI was employed for a quarter of 2010, in a job that, whilst rewarding, caused huge strain upon every area of my life. And what did I do with the money I earned? Spent it on my family. I think that sums up where my priorities lie in life. So after a few months 'de-employing' myself, I considered my options and found there was a way I could earn a small amount of money doing the thing I actually enjoy. 2011 will see how that pans out.
- Committing to something solely because you're good at it is not a good reason to do it, and is likely to stress you outI seem to need reminding of this periodically. The problem with having wide ranging interests and some useful skills is that I think that I 'ought' to do things, I 'ought' to take opportunities and I 'should' be the best. Crippling insecurity and performance anxiety ensue. So I'm weighing up my options now, and probably making some changes to my long term plans.
- 1 buddy who 'gets you' brings more pleasure than 10 fair-weather friendsI met (or got closer to) some beautiful people in 2010, they know who they are. I'm so pleased to know them all :)
- I don't always have all the answersSometimes you learn things the hard way, sometimes you never learn. Hopefully the former will apply to me rather than the latter!